Friday, October 12, 2012

The Countdown to Halloween: When we first got together...

Today marks my longest relationship I've ever had with a person I have dated. That lucky person is my husband, Ian. I love him so much.

We had been friends for awhile (which was a first for any of the people I had dated), and he had been there for me when others weren't. Things just clicked after that. We started hanging out more with each other, just around friends. It wasn't until he asked me to see Zombieland together that we got to spend some one-on-one time with each other, and it was completely by accident. It was going to be a movie showing with the rest of our friends, originally, but they got called into work. Since we were the only ones going that night, we decided to go Dutch to make things fair and less awkward. We both had a blast.

After the night was over with, he asked me out before I drove back to my parents' house. I left his house saying that I would like a day to decide. That was only partially true. I was going to say yes right off, since the night was fantastic and all, but did I truly want to get into another relationship so soon after having a really heart retching breakup two months back (the breakup pain was worse from the previous relationship-I didn't recover until six months had past. Seriously, never wanted to go down that road again!)? I also had another close guy friend that had also asked me out around the same time, but he was up in Washington at the time, and wouldn't be home for a good four months. I promised myself that I wouldn't do long distance relationships, since I knew how that went with several other friends I knew (not exactly pretty!). My friend had also been in other relationships before, Ian had not. I decided to give Ian a chance, and told him so the next day.

We've been together since then, through the thick and thin. We got together on October 12, 2009. He proposed to me on July 6, 2010. Our marriage was expedited to November 15, 2010, since we found out we were going to have a kid together (after over a month of being proposed!). Last, but not least, our daughter was born on May 4, 2011.

Every dating anniversary, we either do something cool, Ian showers me with gifts, or both. With his work schedule being whack these last two years, they have mostly been gift related. In 2010, he got me the Blu-Ray version of Zombieland and the exact candies we had during our first date-Swedish Fish, Sour Patch Kids, Dots, Whoppers, and the type of Twizzlers that are made out of multiple strands. I added to his collection of Gears of War figures (that I had started). In 2011, he got me the Blu-Ray version of Shaun of the Dead, a ginormous pack of Swedish Fish, and he made me breakfast. I made him dinner before he had to go to work. This year, we're going to go see Hotel Transylvania or Frankenweenie (both movies that I wanted to do a review on for this countdown, surely enough) on Sunday (we're celebrating then since our dating anniversary fell on Friday this year) since I requested an experience gift versus a physical gift.

I wouldn't mind a surprise cricket bat though. That would be nice to fend of zombies with...

P.S. If you need a good party movie involving zombies, I would check out Zombieland for sure! It's not too gory and super fun/goofy.


No comments:

Post a Comment